[MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck?

Ted L. Chen tedlchen at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 21:44:01 CET 2002

bradley newton haug
> Raph Wrote:

>> I frequently see military projects using game-like technology
>> that took years to make and cost millions of dollars and probably
>> could have been done in a few weeks by any competent FPS team in
>> the industry.

> Goes both ways, I agree.  Flight Sims are a good example here.

'game-like' I would say is the operative word.  A lot of things can
seem similar on top while varying drastically underneath.  That
said, I wouldn't trust using Microsoft Flight Sim in almost any
research project (yes, I know there are attempts from certain people
to bridge that gap).  And conversely, I wouldn't want to run the
latest CAE B747 simulator in my living room.

  Each is made to specification.  MSFS has to run on a Pentium-X
  class processor, with a 16MB graphics card.  It has to have an
  aerodynamics model generalizable for a multitude of aircraft,
  replacable with the greatest of ease.  It also has to retail for
  about $50US.

  The CAE simulator is made to run on several SGIs.  The graphics
  generator itself probably is spread across 3 systems.  It has to
  have an exacting aerodynamics model, which models the behavior for
  that ONE class of aircraft in all normal (and slightly off-normal)
  operating conditions.  It has to pass FAA certification, and
  because of that, replacability and cost are pretty much out the
  window.

Bringing it to something even closer to MMOGs, does anyone here
really want to use DARPA's HLA as part of their network code?  Can
we learn from each side of the fence?  Of course, but I really don't
feel like pointing fingers at anybody for not fully embracing the
work across the boundary.

I do believe understanding the theory and reasoning behind that work
is useful though.  Especially why, say DARPA, attacked their problem
the way they did with HLA.

TLC

P.S. Playing devil's advocate here, but would you want some civil
engineering firm based in Kansas building your high-rise in LA?