[MUD-Dev] Persistent worlds in NWN (was: Retention without Addiction?)

shren shren at io.com
Thu Dec 12 23:10:05 CET 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Matthew Dobervich wrote:

> One of the most interesting things about this to me is that it's
> currently disproving the largest concern that's raised in
> commercial PW dev circles regarding player created content.
> "It'll be a copy write fiasco!".  I've yet to hear a Britney
> Spears track in game.

> There have some copy write issues though.  There was a bit of a
> stir about people "releasing" Dungeon Siege models as NWN
> compatible files recently, but much to my surprise there was a
> LARGE backlash inside the community against this kind of thing.
> It looks like there is a level of self policing as it relates to
> player created content after all.

As we speak, the top rated modules over at NWVault include:

  1) Lone Wolf Chapter 2 - Mysteries in the Night Taken from a
  published book series

  5) 3rd Edition Adventure Series - The Sunless Citadel Taken from a
  published module

  12) Monty Python Adventures Part 1: Arthur Meets a Moose Taken, of
  course, from the movie

Obviously the community disapproval of taking from copyrighted
sources is ... less than withering.