[MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck?

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Thu Dec 12 23:50:26 CET 2002

On 12/12/02 10:33 PM, Derek Licciardi <kressilac at insightBB.com> wrote:

> The company that uses an enterprise level database within their
> game has advantages that the home grown databases or MySQL simply
> cannot match.

Well, I'd at least put MySQL in a tier between "home grown" and
"Oracle 9i".  At least it's not a private API...

For what it is, MySQL is quite respectable (though of the open
source database engines, I prefer PostgreSQL, since it has better
transaction support).  That said, one big advantage of Oracle is
that you can throw bigger iron at it.  There is simply no x86
equivalent of something like an ES5000, for example, and Solaris
still holds the crown for SMP robustness in midrange servers.

Amanda Walker