[MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck? Prevayler.

Marc LaFleur marc at genesisfour.com
Fri Dec 13 08:25:44 CET 2002

Shren Wrote:

> I hate little things like this, however.  It so blatantly states,
> "We're going to sell you crippled software and then when it can't
> limp any farther we're going to hope you're locked in."  You know
> that's what they want.  I'm not anti-microsoft, I'm
> anti-crippleware.

Um, not to get overly picky but; IT'S FREE. :)

And you are wrong about the reason for MSDE. It was designed to
solve a specific problem, one that I have currently. MS Access isn't
a viable database for my product, I can't have such low
reliability. I need something like SQL Server, something I can
depend on. The problem? My average customer is 5-users and under $1m
in revenue. They are not going to spend the money required for
full-blown SQL Server. I need something that gives me the stability
of SQL Server with the low cost of Access (free). That is what MSDE
is for.

Sorry, I just can't take conspiracy theories. What you see as
cripple-ware that "locks you in", I see as a godsend that will save
my company over $1.2 million in royalty fees next year.

Marc