[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Eric Hu satan at TRPG.org
Fri Dec 13 09:40:00 CET 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:58:04 -0800
"Ted L. Chen" <tedlchen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Eric Hu wrote:

>> We could make the tools, but players will decide he buy it or
>> not.

> Are you saying then, by extension, that AA meetings are fruitless
> because they're all voluntary?  Or any of the many self-help and
> support groups out there?  Not all people with addictions lack the
> minimum of pre-cog self control to say, "I shouldn't be doing
> this," before any strong temptation is presented.  And the
> 'bouncer' functions just provides that little voice that reminds
> them "are you sure you still want to be doing this?"  I think this
> covers a lot of people.

> Of course, you'll get the odd few who will set the timer, and then
> blame you for their own ignoring of it.  I don't think anything
> can be done on this end about their 'addiction' since they're in
> denile of their own responsibility.  In RL, we don't expect
> anything short of an intervention by friends and family to put a
> stop to that type of behavior, why would we expect intervention by
> strangers in a MMOG?

Dont get me wrong, I am not arguing that 'Bouncer' is useless.

What I pointed out is -- "Bouncer" and "alarm" is NOT a pink pill
which able to cure all the pain in our ass. Yes, I know it works for
some player, but not all. My MUD had the same function serval years
ago, too.  "I washed my hands, I am as clean as a baby. This man is
your now, do whatever you like to him. See you later and have a good
day", That is what I feel from some articles in this discussion.

Everyone have an alarm clock in RL, someone more than one. Does it
mean no one will be late at school or office? Does it mean we shall
not try to find another solution better than alarm clock?

I think we are discussing 'What could we do for them? is it enough?
could we do more?' Aren't we?