Software Styles (was: Re: [MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck)

Sean Kelly sean at ffwd.cx
Fri Dec 13 09:56:39 CET 2002

bradley newton haug wrote:

> I remember visiting Electronic Arts: Seattle when I was waffling
> about wanting to pursue games. I was working at Asymetrix which
> was one block away in Bellevue, WA, and I went over for a get to
> know you thing, and they had at least 12 Developers, some senior
> in cubicles (!!!) crammed into a little room, I mean little, but
> oh they got to play with toys like RC cars, I'm thinking "you poor
> sad f*ckers sold your soul for a gumbi doll".  I was like what's
> the upside, it has to be pay right.  The manager was frank with
> me, and *he* actually got paid the same as I did as a little spud
> at a paul allen firm.

> didn't think about games for quite a few years.  Didn't ever
> really think about EA the same either.

I had a friend who worked for Asymetrix for a long time -- Tim
Lesher -- he had been hired out of college and moved to work for
them.  Hiring people out of college is also a handy way to get
talented people for less than they're worth :) That said, I
completely agree.  I considered going to work for Blizzard a few
years ago (so my comment re:them wasn't completely unbiased) and was
similarly impressed by their work environment.  Heck, the guy I was
supposed to interview with didn't even get into the office until 2
hours after the time my interview was scheduled for.  If they hadn't
paid to fly me out I would have left before he even got there.

There are some incredibly talented people in the game development
industry, but the lack of professionalism in most cases is a real
put-off.  I'd much rather work for double the money at a business
where I can walk out the door at 5pm than in an office where there
are cool toys.  Still, as the MMORPG thread indicates, I think the
times they are a-changing.  As production costs rapidly approach
hollywood level, some more structure is going to have to make it
into the industry or companies will start to fail.  For either good
or bad, the times of garage studios is nearing an end.

Sean