[MUD-Dev] Complexities of MMOG Servers WAS Retention Without Addiction

Mark Eaton marke at mac.com
Fri Dec 13 10:55:24 CET 2002

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 07:48  PM, Derek Licciardi wrote:

> ps This brings me back to my database post.  Why on earth would
> you place this somewhat-inexperienced talent on database code when
> that wheel is already well formed and optimized by thousands of
> capable professionals working on large scale DBs?  It seems that
> the custom

Large scale commercial, off the shelf DBMs cost $$$. Even worse,
their licensing plans are typically structured on a per-client
basis, which will just kill any game looking at the $10 -
$12/mo. subscription range.

At least, all of this was true relatively recently. Maybe things are
changing?

I don't know much about the open source alternatives like MySQL or
Postgres. Maybe those are coming along such that they would be
suitable for a game back-end?

-mark