[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

sean at ffwd.cx sean at ffwd.cx
Fri Dec 13 12:11:58 CET 2002

<EdNote: Missing top level attribution fixed>

Valerio Santinelli wrote:
> shren wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Valerio Santinelli wrote:

>> Apparently they announced some kind of database access to be on
>> the planned features list for future patches.  I'll believe it
>> when I see it, but it's of note that they said it.

> This is weird. A recent post on the forum by Don Moar, Lead
> Toolset Programmer, was clear about the fact that they are NEVER
> going to add database support to NWN. And he explained the reasons
> very well.  Here's the link to that post:

>   http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=168697&forum=46

The focus of this thread is actually slightly different.  The issue
here was that one player, Enigmatic, was bemoaning the fact that the
NWN Toolset didn't store modules in a DB while they were being
worked on.  He had some valid points, but tends to be pretty
opinionated in how he says things.  Don stated, rightly, that
switching from a file-based back-end to a DB-based back-end would be
a significant change for NWN and therefore wasn't going to happen
for 1.0.  As far as this thread is concerned, though, I think
there's a chance that either BioWare or someone in the community
will release some sort of tool that can do search-and-replace on the
contents of module files.  Technically, fans could do it now, but
there's still enough guessing going on about the ins and outs of the
module file format that it would be a ton of work.  There's always
the possibility that BioWare will just release docs on the file
format and let the community go at it.