[MUD-Dev] Total Annilation of Downtime

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Fri Dec 13 17:10:55 CET 2002

On 12/13/02 1:18 PM, Brad McQuaid <bmcquaid at cox.net> wrote:

> 1. Inspecting someone does not reveal anything that a person
> couldn't see in real life; it does not tell the player what's in
> someone else's backpack, or what 'bra' they're wearing (not that
> there is an 'underwear layer', but if there was, it wouldn't).

This is not at all obvious in-game, at least to a relative newbie.

> 3. This all comes directly from MUDs and EQ IS a graphical MUD.
> In the MUDs we original designers played, you could 'look' at a
> player and it would list the items he or she was wearing.

Sure.  Back in the 80s, I was in the habit of "look <everything>"
myself, as I'm sure everyone was.  But when someone did it, the game
didn't tell me I was being inspected (at least, in the MUDs I was
on, which as I've noted were not primarily RPGs).  What annoyed me
was the particular EQ habit of having someone walking up to you, and
without even hearing a "hi, need some armor?", you get "so and so is
inspecting your equipment" and then they leave.  If the action is
insignificant, it does not need to be highlighted in the UI.

> Ps. What does this have to do with the elimination of downtime
> (not that anyone would want to totally eliminate it, right?)

No idea.  These threads take some odd turns sometimes...

Amanda Walker