[MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck?

Sean Kelly sean at ffwd.cx
Sat Dec 14 10:28:25 CET 2002

bradley newton haug wrote:

> I agree, my little rant about DB/flat files was just because of
> the whole 'flatfile speed myth', I don't use db's to maintain
> state, just fire it up, save it and do sanity checks.  I recommend
> trading memory for speed every chance you get, which is the
> opposite of some old school algorithms.  I even have hashtables
> with calculation/result lookups that I load at startup, to save a
> few cycles in exchange for memory/slower startup.

One of the neat features of C++ is that you can potentially stick a
ton of numerical computation in template language and have it done
at compile-time.  Numerical APIs like Blitz++ do this whenever
possible. One fun project I was working on for a while was a maze
generator done in template code that randomly generated a 20x20 maze
during compilation.  Code generation can get pretty tricky, but it
can also be quite powerful.

Sean