[MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck?

ceo at grexengine.com ceo at grexengine.com
Sat Dec 14 12:05:07 CET 2002

on Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 01:48:48AM -0500, Amanda Walker wrote:
> On 12/13/02 12:05 AM, Dave Rickey <daver at mythicentertainment.com> wrote:

>> You don't get faster and lower-overhead than a pre-cached
>> flatfile.  I say this as a former DBA and client-server
>> programmer of some experience myself.

> One of the things I learned while doing work with streaming media
> encryption was that sometimes timing is more important that
> restartability.  If you're updating a client, and something gets
> dropped, you don't roll back and reapply it--you overwrite it,
> because the previous state is now irrelevant.

> This is one important way in which games, and other media delivery
> systems, are unlike traditional database/transaction systems.

And sadly has the side effect that many middleware/enterprise/etc
systems from other industries are almost totally useless for
MMOGs. I'm sure there's bound to be people making MMOG's based on
J2EE somewhere, and I fell very sorry for them: most elements of
such suites were designed with fundamentally different assumptions.

Another example is systems optimized for web-styole access-patterns
(each client is very bursty, but spends most of the time idling) as
opposed to typical games access-patterns (each client is
continuously active).

Adam M