[MUD-Dev] Persistent worlds in NWN (was: Retention without Addiction?)

Matthew Dobervich matthew.dobervich2 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 14 13:38:35 CET 2002

Valerio Santinelli Wrote:
> Sean Kelly Wrote:

>> As Valerio Santinelli said, the best way to get data out of NWN
>> at this point is a logfile dump.  And the only way to get data in
>> requires taking down the server, patching something into the
>> module file, and reloading the server.  This is a far cry from
>> dynamic save/load capability.  If someone has hacked the engine
>> to the point where they have addressed this problem, I'm all
>> ears.  But I personally won't be satisfied until I can transport
>> live data in and out of a module without taking the module
>> offline.

> What you're looking for is the chance to connect to an external
> database and save/retrieve data from there, or maybe be able to
> add a custom DLL to NWN itself in order to do whatever you want
> with your server. Although this is somethin that I would take into
> consideration if I were at Bioware, they are not going to do
> anything similar. At least not until they decide to write a new
> engine from scratch. Have a look at NWN's postmortem at Gamasutra:
> http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20021204/greig_01.htm And read
> the posts made by the programmers at Bioware on their forums. They
> are simply overwhelmed with other things and are striving to fix
> all the bugs and make their game stay alive for more than a few
> hours. I do not expect Bioware devs to do anything to help people
> make PWs. They always said that NWN was not meant to be used to
> run PWs. It's been that way from the beginning, even before they
> started working on the product.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that Bioware isn't interested in
support PWs, they've publicly stated many times that they're
commited to doing so.  Here is a dev chat log from a few days ago

  http://nwn.stratics.com/content/community/hoclogs/20021212_hoc.shtml

-quote-
  Question from Akenthi:

    any talk of the Database reading and Writeing? can you say
    anything as to some of the options your looking in to?

  Response from Trent Oster, Producer on NWN:

    Database: read+Write = goodness

    Database support is something we **really** want

    Still under consideration of course

     You know how development can go ;-I

  Response from Jay Watamaniuk, Community Manager:

    The databse or file access issue is a very clear issue in the
    community and is very firmly on the radar.

    It would solve a great deal of wierdness for Persistant
    Worlds. Derek French has a special place in his heart for this
    one-so don't worry. :)
-quote-