[MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck?

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Sat Dec 14 15:27:32 CET 2002

On 12/14/02 7:05 AM, ceo at grexengine.com <ceo at grexengine.com> wrote:

> I'm sure there's bound to be people making MMOG's based on J2EE
> somewhere, and I fell very sorry for them: most elements of such
> suites were designed with fundamentally different assumptions.

To be fair, this is not always obvious.  Generally speaking, people
analyze problems using patterns with which they are already
familiar.  Someone who's done "client/server" work with J2EE, COM+,
SOAP, CORBA, etc. will see an MMORPG as a client/server
communication problem.  Someone with database experience will see it
as a database/transaction handling problem.  Someone with 3D
rendering experience will see it as a 3D rendering problem, and so
on.

I can remember, after dealing with real-time media streaming for a
while, realizing that an MMORPG client could be thought of as a
media player with a really, really specialized codec.  It shifted my
perspective on things quite radically.

Amanda Walker