Justin Stocks juztyn at massassi.net
Sun Dec 15 08:19:09 CET 2002

On Saturday, December 14, 2002  "Marc Fielding" wrote:

> In the following link, Raph defends Sony's limitation of "one
> character per server per account":

>   http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum3/HTML/088000.html

Oh dear. I was hoping the SCS/MCS debate wouldn't spread to a
respectable mailing list such as this. Needless to say, I have mixed
views on the entire thing.

For one, I can't seem to get it through my head how having two
characters per server to a max of 10 characters (5 servers) would
take more space to store then one character over 10 servers.

I also find the debate about griefing being easier with MSC a little
silly.  For one, there is nothing to substantiate the claim, as a
large scale MMO such as this has never tried SCS. I honestly don't
see what's stopping Joe Smith, who has characters on 'Bria',
'Bloodfin', and 'Eclipse' from logging onto the 'Scylla' server and
attempting to grief people in the same way as he would if he could
create a similar newbie character on one of his home servers. I
certainly have never seen or heard of someone transferring good
items over to their 'griefer' before going at it.

The final argument for SCS (that I could see) was of course, the
muling issue.  Obviously, Sony doesn't like muling. I agree that it
leads to such things as packrats and item-hogs. In my opinion,
muling is a necessary evil. People are going to do it, no matter
what you do. The only way to stop it, of course, are
SCS. Congratulations, you've stopped muling. Now let's look at the
cost:

In the long run, I'm sure that SCS will bring in more money for
Sony. More and more players will want to have two characters on one
server, for whatever reasons, so they'll fork over the extra bucks
for an additional account.  Sony wins, the player, er, wins (?), so
everyone's happy. But will it really stop there? I mean, we don't
even know what the monthly fee will be. At this rate, I'm afraid it
might be a bit more then the 'usual' $12.95.

In my opinion, SCS will make it more difficult for players to play
with their friends. Playing with your friends = instant
fun. !Playing with your friends = frustration. Why will SCS make it
more difficult? Because I want to play my master bothan Slicer, and
you want to fiddle with your Mon Calmarian Bounty Hunter. Oops, we
can't play together, those two characters are on different servers.

Then again, maybe Sony wants us to forget about our friends. After
all, that'd be the first step towards becoming totally dependant on
the game itself for fun. And that's the first step towards sickening
addiction :p

(please note, the above paragraph was in good fun ^_^ )

So you see. I both agree and disagree with SCS. I must be a fence
sitter by nature.

- Justin