[MUD-Dev] Total Annilation of Downtime

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Sun Dec 15 13:47:36 CET 2002

From: "Brad McQuaid" <bmcquaid at cox.net>

> And, again, in 20/20 hindsight the toggle on & off probably should
> have been there from the beginning, and it probably should have
> been better explained, etc.  But, all in all, quite a nice first
> attempt leap out of the niche and into the mainstream, if I do say
> so myself :) And sure, with a time machine, I'd go back and make
> quite a few changes, but I will say this: I feel strongly that the
> game turned out much better WITH inspecting and the message than
> without (in other words, if I had to choose either how we did it,
> or not at all (no other options), I'd still go with how we did
> it).

I came from the part of MUDs where inspections messages were not
displayed.  If the system had displayed the inspection message to
me, I am sure I would have wimpied many newbies for it.

I quickly learned that EQ displayed the "inspection message" and at
first I felt uncomfortable about it.  But over time I have learned
that inspections happen for a lot of reasons.  I am a old timer
Rallos Zek player (PVP with item looting) including the days when
you could loot a weapon.  On RZ "inspection" means that someone is
either sizing you up or is determining if you have anything worth
looting.

On all EQ servers, newbies are quickly reminded that inspections are
rude.  Some newbies use inspection as a way to determine if the
other person is from a buffing class or seems unusually rich.
Another form of inspection comes from high level players who have
extra equipment to hand out.  They inspect to see what you are
missing.  And of course some have items to sell so they inspect you
to see if they have something to fit your missing slot.

I always leave "inspection" on and let people inspect me for as much
as they want even on PVP servers.  Probably the missing feature of
"inspection" would have been to add the ability for stealthy people
to inspect without being detected.

maddy