rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Sun Dec 15 14:54:44 CET 2002

From: "Justin Stocks" <juztyn at massassi.net>
> On Saturday, December 14, 2002  "Marc Fielding" wrote:

>> In the following link, Raph defends Sony's limitation of "one
>> character per server per account":

>>   http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum3/HTML/088000.html

> In my opinion, SCS will make it more difficult for players to play
> with their friends. Playing with your friends = instant
> fun. !Playing with your friends = frustration. Why will SCS make
> it more difficult? Because I want to play my master bothan Slicer,
> and you want to fiddle with your Mon Calmarian Bounty
> Hunter. Oops, we can't play together, those two characters are on
> different servers.

> Then again, maybe Sony wants us to forget about our friends. After
> all, that'd be the first step towards becoming totally dependant
> on the game itself for fun. And that's the first step towards
> sickening addiction :p

But your friends have the same restriction you do, 1 character per
server. Thus, you choose 2 different servers to play on, with one
character on each. With the ability to change your skills around,
you've got a lot more latitude.

All it means, as I mentioned briefly before, is that when someone
plays around, they won't have their high level buddies
power-levelling/spoonfeeding them, and they won't be doing the same
for their buddies' play around characters.

Do you really feel that you can't play with your friends if you each
have 1 char/server, and have a main server and a play-around-on
server?

I think it's a viable model as we have had it working essentially
the same in Retro for ages. Multiple characters may not interact
with each other. They also may not interact with the same other
character within a 12 hr period. So even within a single server,
you'll see friends have different groups of characters they
play. And different castles for the different groups. In essence,
they've sharded their own play within a single server persistent
world. SWG is doing this across servers.

I also don't see playing on 2 different servers in the same game all
that much different than when the same group of friends play on 2
different games, and coordinate which game they're on that nite.

  rayzam
  www.travellingbard.com