[MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck?

Richard Aihoshi aka Jonric jonric at vaultnetwork.com
Sun Dec 15 17:24:42 CET 2002

At 12:40 AM 15/12/02 -0800, "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com> wrote:
> From: Richard Aihoshi aka Jonric

>> While I've encountered some developers who don't seem high on
>> academia, I have the impression there's somewhat more contact
>> happening than most people know about.  The main reason almost
>> certainly seems to be that not everyone talks in public about
>> what they do.  Just off the top of my head, I can think of guest
>> lecturing, actual teaching and recruiting situations that have
>> never, AFAIK, received mention in the media - only a handful to
>> be sure, but there are almost certainly more since I only learned
>> about these informally; i.e. the topic somehow came up without me
>> asking.

> I certainly didn't mean to imply it was nonexistent. Some cases
> where crossover is definitely occurring (though more aimed towards
> the goal of getting academic curricula about games started up,
> with the goal of degree-granting programs in games development):

>    http://www.igda.org/academia/
>    http://www.joystick101.org/
>    http://gamestudies.org/
>    http://www.annenberg.edu/interactive-age/
>    http://www.mime.indiana.edu/
>    http://www.etc.cmu.edu/

> This is just off the top of my head--there are many more.

I didn't get that implication in the least.  Indeed, I know full
well that people like you as well as Warren Spector, Doug Church
(both of whom you mentioned earlier) and others are far more aware
than I about things that are going on.  Rather, the point I was
trying to make was that awareness of such initiatives is still
pretty limited.  Of the small amount I happen to know, the majority
comes from personal conversations with developers during which the
topic somehow came up.  Were it not for such occasions, I'd know
very little - and that, I suspect, is the prevailing situation.

Cheers.

Richard Aihoshi  - "Jonric"
Editor in Chief, IGN Vault Network
RPG Vault http://rpgvault.ign.com