[MUD-Dev] Persistent worlds in NWN (was: Retention without Addiction?)

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Sun Dec 15 19:46:40 CET 2002

Matthew Dobervich wrote:
> Valerio Santinelli Wrote:
>> Sean Kelly Wrote:

>> What you're looking for is the chance to connect to an external
>> database and save/retrieve data from there, or maybe be able to
>> add a custom DLL to NWN itself in order to do whatever you want
>> with your server. Although this is somethin that I would take
>> into consideration if I were at Bioware, they are not going to do
>> anything similar. At least not until they decide to write a new
>> engine from scratch. Have a look at NWN's postmortem at
>> Gamasutra:
>> http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20021204/greig_01.htm And read
>> the posts made by the programmers at Bioware on their
>> forums. They are simply overwhelmed with other things and are
>> striving to fix all the bugs and make their game stay alive for
>> more than a few hours. I do not expect Bioware devs to do
>> anything to help people make PWs. They always said that NWN was
>> not meant to be used to run PWs. It's been that way from the
>> beginning, even before they started working on the product.

> I'm not sure where you got the idea that Bioware isn't interested
> in support PWs, they've publicly stated many times that they're
> commited to doing so.  Here is a dev chat log from a few days ago

>   http://nwn.stratics.com/content/community/hoclogs/20021212_hoc.shtml

I've got my idea from the way the devs at Bioware are acting in the
forums.  They keep telling how much they would like to have database
support in the game and all this stuff, but they always get down to
a point where they say that any kind of I/O is not going to make
into the game because there are other issues more important first.
Don't misunderstand me. I would love to see Bioware add support for
any kind of I/O, but the lack of "real" response on this issue has
made me think that way.

--
c'ya!

Valerio Santinelli