Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Sun Dec 15 23:58:27 CET 2002

Lars Duening wrote:
> Marc Fielding wrote:

> Which gave me an idea - maybe not that original or practical, but
> hey, it's 2:30am:

> How about offering the player to download and upload the character
> data?  This way the player could have multiple characters, but
> would have to carry the burden of storing the data himself, and
> only one of the characters could be active at any one time.

> Of course the data would need to be protected against
> tampering. I'd encrypt the compressed character data with a
> randomly chosen strong key, then encrypt this first key with fixed
> strong key and send both the encrypted data and encrypted key to
> the player.

This idea is amusing :)

I think SWGO stores more information than the character's stats and
a few numbers ;)

Think about maps, quests completed, NPCs you've talked to and all
the info tied to their conversations. A system like the on eyou're
proposing would probably be a hell to manage. You would need to be
sure to send to the player ALL the data that could ever be needed if
you want to cut off the problem of storing all this on your
server. On the other hand, if you're only going to send him the
basic datas and an ID that points to all the other structures tied
to the character, you're loosing the point in sending datas to the
player.

I don't know if my mumbling makes sense.. it's getting late there,
too :)

--
c'ya!

Valerio Santinelli