[MUD-Dev] Persistent worlds in NWN (was: Retention without Addiction?)

Dubious Advocate dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 16 15:42:29 CET 2002

Matthew Dobervich wrote:

> As Valerio Santinelli said, the best way to get data out of NWN at
> this point is a logfile dump.  And the only way to get data in
> requires taking down the server, patching something into the
> module file, and reloading the server.

Check into something like RunUO.  It's written in C# as is the
"script" engine, so player developed components compile directly
down to MSIL and there is full support for threading, serialization,
event-driven delegates, remoting, etc..  Even better it's a true
"PSW-in-a-box" solution for hobbyists wanting to support up to
150-200 concurrent users over a single box.

The downside is that it's an illegal UO emu.  But my holy grail
remains a commercially packaged product like NWN with a RunUO-style
PW server platform using open standards.  I'd pay a monthly
community fee to use a product like this and have access to
quality-developed components.

NWN is a partial solution at best, but I'm very pleased that Bioware
has enjoyed such commercial success.

--
Dave Scheffer