Heightfield vs. mesh was RE: AC2 was RE: [MUD-Dev] Total Annilation of Downtime

Ted L. Chen tedlchen at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 16 15:58:07 CET 2002

Marc Fielding wrote:
> [Brian Hook]

>> Even a pseudo-compromise solution where you have a heightfield
>> with 3D objects placed on it to give a feel of "real 3D" doesn't
>> feel right.  It looks like, well, a heightfield with a bunch of
>> 3D objects shoved into it.

> Have any recent games taken this approach? I'd be curious to see
> how noticeable the disjunction is.

Microsoft Flight Simulator =) Digital Elevation Maps + flattened DEM
zones for cities/airports.  The disjunction is most noticable when
you have single objects sticking out of the DEM directly; a log
cabin for instance.  Less so if the building is on top of some
man-made structure like streets or a concrete paveway.  The key is
to put enough objects in a specific area that it draws the player's
attention away from the boundary area.

TLC