Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Dec 16 18:16:33 CET 2002

Michael Tresca [mailto:talien at toast.net]
> Marc Fielding posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 6:27 PM

>> In the following link, Raph defends Sony's limitation of "one
>> character per server per account":

>>   http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum3/HTML/088000.html

>> While there are secondary design motivations behind the
>> limitation, the cost of storing a potentially immense amount of
>> character data is the primary factor. Yet even though I find his
>> description of the problem to be quite understandable and his
>> solution fairly reasonable, I'd like to propose a slight
>> modification:

> BRAVO!

> On RetroMUD, muling is a serious offense.  It's a serious offense
> for all the reasons listed by Raph.  I was shocked and horrified
> to discover just how casual muling happens on MMORPGs and how
> players have begun to see it as a right.

I actually quite like mules, I initially got one in EQ because the
bank space is woefully inadequate. I then realised that I liked
being able to use my wizard to teleport my monk around. Personally I
don't see why I should have to beg people to teleport my monk, when
I've spent 200+ days getting my wizard up to the highest level.

Having said that, if no one can do it I don't mind. Sadly this won't
be the case unless they put their money where their mouth is, and
limit people to a single credit card/national ID/big brother state
method of uniquely barcoding every citizen. Otherwise, its just
discriminating against those with lesser wallets.

Due to the blocking of alt-tab, I actually used to run 2 decent spec
PCs just so that I could browse the internet or play two characters
in EQ. I don't really see how this is any different - if you have
the money you can get around these limitations.

I notice that Raph didn't actually quote the character file size
which does make me curious as to what SOE think is a reasonable size
;)

Frankly game mechanics need to be able to handle muling. It's a
reality these days, so you may as well work with it, not cross your
fingers and try to ban those who do it.

Dan

p.s. Future games please don't block alt-tab, its incredibly rude,
doesn't stop people hacking and generally forces me to spend too
much money on PCs.