Wes Connell wconnell at kanga.nu
Mon Dec 16 19:49:45 CET 2002

Valerio Santinelli wrote:

> Think about maps, quests completed, NPCs you've talked to and all
> the info tied to their conversations. A system like the on eyou're
> proposing would probably be a hell to manage. You would need to be
> sure to send to the player ALL the data that could ever be needed
> if you want to cut off the problem of storing all this on your
> server. On the other hand, if you're only going to send him the
> basic datas and an ID that points to all the other structures tied
> to the character, you're loosing the point in sending datas to the
> player.

> I don't know if my mumbling makes sense.. it's getting late there,
> too :)

To continue the argument...

Version control would be (IMO) the toughest part of this. How would
you handle somebody that has a player file from three months ago
when you have changed the player file data three times (only
slightly) in the past three months? Surely the player file layout
won't remain the same throughout the lifetime of the game.

What if he logs back in two years later? Will you retain all the
patch information for that long?

What if the encryption on the player file has been compromised since
Bubba last logged in? Will you still let him upload his player file?

These all sound like the problems that Diablo (original) had with
its multiplayer setup.

--
Wes!
wconnell at kanga.nu