rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Tue Dec 17 08:17:17 CET 2002

From: "Madrona Tree" <madronatree at hotmail.com>
> From: rayzam <rayzam at travellingbard.com>

>> Interesting. From the replies, the 'dabblers' seem to feel they
>> won't be able to with 1 character per server, over 10
>> servers. Why is that? My first reaction is that they want to be
>> power-levelled by their friends. Is that a Right nowadays?

> Not really because of the power-leveling... it's more because
> people like to experiment with different character types, but they
> also want to play with their friends, and they believe that SCS
> will not allow them to do both at the same time.

But their friends can be experimenting with them on those other
servers, no?

> lot of people come from Everquest, DAOC, and other games that use
> Class Systems, where what you choose on Day 1 is what you still
> are on day 2,537.  So being able to experiment with your one
> character (though, granted, your race/gender isn't changeable) is
> a new thing for a lot of people.

> There is another thread about it here... that shows that hardcore,
> intelligent gamers (one has a PhD in nuclear physics) don't get
> it, either.  (me = Rori)

>   http://arbiters.econfcall.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=&TOPIC_ID=6637

> It will be interesting to me, to see if SCS produces a very few
> tradeskillers.

And if a smaller population of primary tradeskillers compares to a
larger population of secondary tradeskillers.

> Global/Cross-Server chat will be very important in allowing
> friends to keep tabs on one another.

That's a point I hadn't considered previously: the socializing
aspect/communication between friends even when playing separately.
I remember it being attempted in LPC via the Intermud protocols, but
that never really took off [and I considered it a security hole to
be plugged].

Would that one feature solve the friends issue for you?

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com