Heightfield vs. mesh was RE: AC2 was RE: [MUD-Dev] Total Anni lation of Downtime

Koster Koster
Tue Dec 17 15:33:33 CET 2002

From: Christopher Allen

> Your post and the article are fascinating. As one of those that
> brainstormed with Will Wright for Sim Earth and wrote some
> continent generation algorithms, it is amazing to see how far
> we've come.

I firmly believe that this sort of path is the future. Why? Because
bandwidth is not increasing, the pace of art production is actually
DEcreasing as the visual bar goes up, the delivery media size has
increased on consoles but not on PCs and it's becoming impractical
to ship large worlds on CD... and the push is towards more content,
faster.

Stuff like this, with some effort, also lowers the barrier of entry
for user-created content. We could spend some time cleaning up that
tool and let people make their own landscapes far more easily than
we could teach people to use a 3d modeling program.

> There are some links on the 4th page of that site

>   http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/team/articles/corellia_4.jsp

> that sounded interesting but that result in 404 errors. They are:

> The Planet Selection Process

> Do you have any ideas on where to find them?

They are old board forum posts, so they have probably
expired. However, notable posts like that are often collected into
the Dev Digest.

  http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/digest/dev_digest.jsp

They are most likely found in this section:

  http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/digest/dev_cms_archive.jsp?section_name=Setting%20and%20Environment

-Raph