[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

bradley newton haug brad at faithanddisease.com
Tue Dec 17 16:00:35 CET 2002

Sacha wrote:

> This issue sticks out like a sore thumb - if you've worked through
> a full design of a MUD for anyone in the solar system, you can't
> miss it.

Indeed, it's a full level of organization/abstraction, accounts
containing characters or accounts being characters.  It's a design
decision that comes in pretty early in any 'mudlib' (or equiv).
Early... which brings me to my next point..

> If SCS is the only thing standing between you and a really good
> setup, I say go for it.

It is my opinion that there wasn't a single design reason for it,
only shiny objects to distract from the real issue of poor
planning. It is my belief that it isn't a feature; it's a last
minute hack.  If it really was a design decision there would have
been no need for the snowstorm and the laughable 'out here in the
real world we have to pay bills so you just shut up and give us
money because we know what you want' PR joke.

Regards

brad