[MUD-Dev] Persistent worlds in NWN (was: Retention without Addiction?)

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Tue Dec 17 23:20:22 CET 2002

Dubious Advocate wrote:
> "Valerio Santinelli" <tanis at mediacom.it> wrote:

>> I've got my idea from the way the devs at Bioware are acting in
>> the forums.  They keep telling how much they would like to have
>> database support in the game and all this stuff, but they always
>> get down to a point where they say that any kind of I/O is not
>> going to make into the game because there are other issues more
>> important first.  Don't misunderstand me. I would love to see
>> Bioware add support for any kind of I/O, but the lack of "real"
>> response on this issue has made me think that way.

> What I as a customer and dedicated genre hobbyist really want is a
> zoning-free open world ala' UO or AC2.  But on clustered over my
> rack, over my wires, supporting 300 of my closest friends, and
> listed in directories on a thousand other player worlds... :-)
> NWN's current room by room model is not drafted to this
> implementation.

We're at least 2 ;)

I liked the way UO emulators did their job, and there was (and still
is) room for experimentation. During the days I was working on UOX3
I've got to know a lot of people that were brilliant coders an had
great ideas. Too bad UO had a very buggy client that kept crashing
whenever a bad command was sent to it.  I see the force in this kind
of products by providing a graphical client that is appealing and
modern. Give people an open client and servers would start popping
up everywhere. There isn't a lack of coding skills, but there's a
huge lack of time and human resources to create assets. Throw
together a good client with pre-made assets and you're half-way the
road to be a winner in the open community.

I would love to see a company concentrate its efforts in providing
an open framework. An open client with a basic server that can be
expanded through external code. This would be really cool. Better
stop dreaming for now :)

--
c'ya!

Valerio Santinelli