Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Dec 18 00:36:40 CET 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Marc Fielding wrote:

>   5) therefore, multiple accounts will be logged on simultaneously
>   at some higher rate than previously encountered

Sounds pretty good from SOE's standpoint I'd imagine since 1 person
paying for two accounts is likely to use up less customer service
time than 2 people paying (and using) 2 accounts.

> You just deprecated a valid playstyle! Powergamers are as much a
> part of the MMOG universe as socializers, explorers, and
> roleplayers. From your statements, you seem to be a passionate,
> experienced roleplayer.  However, a game needs to appeal to all
> types in order to be successful.

I don't buy this. A game does not have to appeal to all types in
order to be successful. These are all niche games to begin with, and
even within the niche, there are plenty of niches to successfully
fill. Achaea, for instance, is very successful for the context it is
in, and certainly doesn't appeal to the traditional
power-gamer. Achaea's financial success is certainly a couple orders
of magnitude below Everquest's, but then, there is no online game
software that can make as much as, say, office productivity
software. It's all a matter of the context you're speaking of. I
fully expect that as the market for graphical MUDs matures, we'll
see financially-successful games that specifically cater to
different playstyles. Shadowbane is attempting to go that way it
sounds like.

--matt