Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Wed Dec 18 12:34:24 CET 2002

Marc Fielding posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 4:16 AM

> You just deprecated a valid playstyle! Powergamers are as much a
> part of the MMOG universe as socializers, explorers, and
> roleplayers. From your statements, you seem to be a passionate,
> experienced roleplayer.  However, a game needs to appeal to all
> types in order to be successful.

I fundamentally disagree with you here.

The primary flaw in MMORPGs is their generic, vanilla,
appeal-to-everyone who games style.  Star Wars already is different
by the fact that it is Star Wars, with an established universe and
setting.

I've stated before that I feel MMORPGs are not interested in
creating long-term communities -- the kind that last decades.  Their
only filter to date has been credit cards. The designers toil away
on beautiful settings, immersive experiences, and intricate
storylines only to throw wide the gates and shout "Anything goes!"

Then two years later, the only folks left are the Goal-Oriented
Players.

Not all playstyles can exist in harmony.  Some playstyles are
harmful to others.  Some playstyles will give you more income
immediately, others will keep giving for years if not decades.

Different MMORPGs will get further segmented as they develop.  Star
Wars is just the first.  There's now enough games that everyone can
feel their playstyle is validated-- they just need to go to the
appropriate MMORPG.

> The MMOG spectrum on complexity vs. accessibility (for future
> reference):

>   |--------------------------------------------------------|
>   Low Complexity/                           High Complexity/
>   High Accessibility                       Low Accessibility

> You seem to be urging commercial MMOGs more towards the right, in
> accordance with your own playstyle. While this is a reasonable
> design decision, you are potentially limiting your market by
> making the game inaccessible to a broad range of consumers. Far
> right games can and do succeed, but they are probably more readily
> perceived as "boutique" games by the industry.

In the short term, I agree.  In the long term, this is untrue.
Strong social networks keeps people playing longer.  Do you want 10
flash in the pan accounts that last for three months or 5 players
that play for ten years?

> Many current releases seem to simply cannibalize the users of
> other games.

Agreed.  And this is due to the generic, vanilla settings.  MMORPGs
weren't taking a stand because they wanted to make money.  Now that
they exist, the generic early adopter MMORPGs no longer have the
advantage.  You've got to offer more content and a stable social
network to stay competitive.

> Honestly, you'd probably be happier in smaller, "hand-crafted"
> environments with careful player selection processes
> (http://www.alandfaraway.net/).

Like MUDs? >:)

I do not believe for one moment that large = umanagable.  It's all
about long term vision.  If a MMORPG is supposed to make money
within a two year timespan and will then be abandoned, then
everything you've said above applies.  If you're looking to create a
viable social community with stickiness that keeps people playing
for years and years, it takes the right amount of investment and not
a little applied sociology to help cultivate the community.

MMORPGs should have vision.  Whether or not the Star Wars MMORPG
wants it, Lucas' vision is carried over to the game.  This is not
the typical MMORPG and the typical rules don't apply.  A lot of
people will expect a Star Wars experience, not the power-gamer
MMORPG experience.

It's no longer sufficient to just make a big game, throw a million
people in it, and hope for the best.  There's something like ten
other games in development (if not more) doing precisely that.
Content, theme, social networks -- that's how games will distinguish
themselves.  The free-for-all market will dry up.  Star Wars is the
first step in offering specific experiences that do not validate
every playstyle.

And it will STILL make more money than I could ever stuff into my
apartment.  The question is, will it still make that money 5, 10, or
15 years from now?

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien