Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Wed Dec 18 12:44:37 CET 2002

Marc Fielding posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 1:44 PM

>> When did muling become a right?

> Easy does it, Mr. Orthodox. ;) This isn't black and white.

Eheheh, I know I'm crazy.

> The designers need to meet the needs of all players.

Why?

> Using multiple accounts, allowing family members to share,
> etc. are *completely* separate issues from the abuses you
> mentioned. You can't lump them together.

I agree, and apologize if I lumped them all into just one category.
I'm speaking to the muling for powergaming reasons.

> "Development" and "enjoyment" are subjective. Your enjoyment of
> the game is (obviously) vastly different from that of a
> powergamer. Neither of you have the right to claim the moral high
> ground.

Sure I do.  It's Star Wars.  I came to the Star Wars MMORPG to play
Star Wars.  What are you playing it for?

As I said previously, not all gaming styles are compatible or should
be encouraged on every MMORPG.

>> Mulers rapidly degrade the gaming environment.  Yes, the MMORPG
>> that speaks out against it loses money, but it's money worth
>> losing.

> You're not the one losing the money. ;)

I didn't finish that train of thought.  It loses money in the SHORT
term.  It makes up for it in the long term.

I'm going to keep saying this until someone (*cough* Raph *cough
cough*) can reinforce or deny the fact that long-term gamers are
more profitable than short term.  I'll shut up then. :)

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien