[MUD-Dev] Persistent worlds in NWN (was: Retention without Addiction?)

Dubious Advocate dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 19 06:49:18 CET 2002

From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com>

>> I've walked these ideas for a Serial MOG around in other more
>> foodfight-like venues with folks from Mythic, Verant, and
>> Sony... and they've universally panned the market niche.  The
>> concern is (a) it cannibalizes their revenue from their Central
>> MOGs, and (b) not as sustainable a model as the addictive and
>> enforced socialization Central MOG models.  There were a slew of
>> red herrings as well.  But (a) and (b) are cogent.

> cf this post I made to MUD-Dev a while back:

>   http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2002Q2/msg01450.php

I think your estimation was spot on, and probably would have had
some commercial success until broadband became as "pervasive" as it
is today.  Thanks for the pointer BTW.  I picture RunUO written to
DotNET but deployed as you outlined.

> Just as the Internet is built on distributed, user-created
> content, so will muds, eventually. It's just a matter of time.

> In other words, I agree with you.

It's happening now... we just had to live long enough... :-)

-----
Dave Scheffer
"Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself"