Geometric Inconsistency was AC2 was RE: [MUD-Dev] Total...

Martin Bassie martin at lyrastudios.com
Thu Dec 19 12:05:29 CET 2002

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 06:55:51PM -0500, Dave Rickey wrote:

> Ahh, I misunderstood the original point.  On this side of it,
> realistic scaling feels too cramped/confining.  Our models are
> scaled in the human range (Highlanders are 72 units tall by
> default), buildings are scaled up about 20-25% from that, the
> original dungeons were scaled 150%.  We learned from that mistake
> (too close for fighting) and scaled later dungeons to 200% or
> more.

Which makes sense to me, as long as it's consistent with the rest of
the game world.

> If realism conflicts with gameplay, too bad for realism.

If you ask me, the key to realism is consistency of a game within
its own realm, more than a 1:1 replica of "the real world" or
photorealism.  In my opinion, graphical muds which attempt to create
a most accurate copy of "the real world" are making it real hard on
themselves. Players are experts at looking at real life. Most of
them, anyway :)

-Martin