[MUD-Dev] Re: Furcadia and IGF

Dr. Cat cat at realtime.net
Thu Dec 19 13:47:32 CET 2002

From: John Robert Arras <johna at wam.umd.edu>

> I just wanted to congratulate Furcadia: http://www.furcadia.com on
> becoming a finalist in the Independent Games Festival at

>   http://www.igf.com

Thanks!  I actually think the most valuable "prizes" are what come
from just being a finalist, as opposed to what gets handed out for
winning.  You get free admission for some of your team to GDC, a
great opportunity to publicize it in front of a lot of publishers,
and apparently all the press inquiries about the finalists are
handled by the same PR firm that does PR for the IGF and GDC in
general - The Bohle Company.  I imagine all the other finalists
think that's no big deal, but as I've been very much wanting to
start getting us a lot of press coverage, now that we're finally
getting to be a decent enough product to show off to the public, and
we can't afford a hotshot PR agency and were planning on doing it
ourselves, to me this is the BEST Christmas present of them all.

Of course if we win the top prize in the festival I'll be very happy
about it and we'll have to mention it everywhere too.  I wouldn't
turn down any of those other prizes either.  But I'm just happy to
be going out to San Jose to show off our work.  I might even make it
to the next mud-dev dinner, if it's on an evening that I have free!