Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Sat Dec 21 12:43:12 CET 2002

From: "Dubious Advocate" <dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com>
> From: "Rayzam" <rayzam at travellingbard.com>

>> There's a difference between forcing co-dependence, and bypassing
>> class and balance restrictions by having all the abilities in
>> your pocket. That's my distinction from your point here. If
>> everybody should have every ability, then the game could be
>> designed that way from the start. But games aren't and haven't
>> been built that way.

> I think you're taking a polar stance - again I apologize if I
> somehow implied "all abilities".  UO, and AC2 for that matter,
> demonstrate that players can have the ability to mix and match
> abilities.  If I want to craft a hybrid (e.g. a soloist template)
> I'm not going to be the best of the best in everything but I can
> manage and still be a valuable addition to a group.

That's the crux of what I've been saying. Developers set up limits
on the single character, either via a class, or the total number of
skill points or skills allowed to be trained by one character. In an
MCS, you've argued that you should be able to have your wizard
teleport your monk around. If you can also then have your healer
heal your monk, and your crafter make him equipment, and your
alchemist make him potions, then what you're doing is bypassing the
developer/designer character balance. As you're suggesting up there,
making a hybrid means you'd not be the best of the best in
everything. With MCS, you can be the best in everything, because
your monk wouldn't need to waste any character resources on
teleportation, because your wizard would take care of
that. Hopefully this example is a bit more clear than the abstracted
way I stated it before.

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com