Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Mon Dec 23 16:15:16 CET 2002

On 12/21/02 11:11 AM, Caliban Tiresias Darklock <caliban at darklock.com>
wrote:

> But isn't it *normal* that lots of people won't buy your software?
> How much weight does it really carry for a potential user to say
> "I'm not going to buy your software"? Does anyone even care?

It is indeed normal, and it's not just a gaming phenomenon.  For
many years I worked for a company that sold Internet software (back
before the days of the web browser, when Internet software was a
niche market).  We had several persistently annoying customers who
would download an evaluation copy, send us comments "well, it needs
to do X, Y, and Z, or else I won't buy it."  Our general response
was, "that's fine.  Our software doesn't do X, Y, or Z--good luck in
your search."  This was evidently quite an unexpected response.
Reactions ranged from "what do you mean?  Don't you want to make a
sale?" ("yes, to people who are trying to do the stuff our software
actually does...") to "but your stuff is the best around!  I really
want X, Y, and Z" ("But it doesn't *do* that.  It does A, B, and C.
We can't do everything...").

I never quite understood the mindset.  If I don't like something, I
simply don't buy it.  I don't waste my time arguing with the
manufacturer about their business.

Amanda Walker