Mike Shaver shaver at off.net
Sat Dec 28 02:20:31 CET 2002

On Dec 24, Marc Fielding wrote:

> An offline, crafting character wouldn't be included in the event
> loop.  However, when the character next goes online, part of the
> offline progress: X number of hours offline, Y rate of failure, Z
> rate of skill increase, N quantity of resources, etc.

> Fast and easy.

Until you care about being able to sell your offline-produced items
while you're offline.  Or you care about what happens when two
characters are offline-mining the same resource and it runs out (who
got how much?).

If you just want to let people "train in their sleep", that's one
thing, but if you want the characters to be a part of the world when
the players aren't -- something that I think is very much required
for SWG to be successful in making a game that works against
playing-as-a-full-time-job, and that's one of their stated goals --
then I don't think you can just play catch-up.

Mike