[MUD-Dev] Enforcing roleplay on small muds

Oliver Newland hslice52 at myacc.net
Sat Dec 28 07:48:06 CET 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-24 at 05:45, Arnau Rosselló Castelló wrote:

>   - All player conversations will be logged, and scanned for
>   banned words, both IC but politically incorrect, or OOC. The
>   game will independently assign penalties for the use of such
>   words(i.e. it will increase the traitor rating of the player),
>   and the infractions will be logged in different levels of
>   importance(i.e. a stray word, vs a conversation out of
>   character).

I'm not going to lie and say that I'm really into RP MUDs, but I
don't think this would be too fun for anybody.

  > tell Spartacus "sup"
  You lose 20 coins for using the word "sup".

  NotSpartacus tells you: "sup"
  > tell NotSpartacus "nothing"
  Incomplete Sentence. Lose 50 coins.

Maybe I don't understand the ideas behind paranoia; maybe this is
the formula for grade-A fun. To me, it would make more sense to log
only public channels (if that). Strict enforcement of arbitrary
rules (RPing is arbitrary - one person's idea of RP may not be
another's) could make the game feel like a chore. Watch out for
that.

Good Luck,
Oliver

P.S. Politically incorrect speech? Didn't we get over that hump a
few years ago?