"Advanced" use of virtual worlds? (Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs)

Tamzen Cannoy tamzen at worldbenders.com
Sat Feb 2 17:38:28 CET 2002

At 6:36 PM +0000 2/2/02, Matt Mihaly wrote:

> I maintain that roleplaying, by necessity, involves disconnecting
> your actions from your emotions to some extent. That's not to say
> that roleplayers feel no emotion. I have certainly gotten caught
> up in the emotional rush of roleplaying before. But to say that it
> can achieve the same intensity is beyond my ability to believe, at
> least.

> (Incidentally, I don't think this is off-topic, because it drives
> to the core of one of the complaints about roleplaying: It cuts
> people off from themselves, and dampens emotional connection to
> events.)

Wow.

This and other comments made last week are so 180 degrees from what
I consider roleplaying it's taken me a while to even formulate
thoughts about it.

Now I admit I am probably at a far extreme of the spectrum, cause I
have only played on Mushes for the last 10 years. But for me RP is
extremely intense, engages my RL emotions completely and is the most
emotionally satisfying pastime I've ever had.

I very seldom make conscious choices about what my characters do,
they just do what is the thing they would do. Lots of times when I
am typing, it's almost like automatic writing, in that I am
surprised to see what comes up on the screen.

Now I know even on the Mushes I play on, that this is not the case
for lots of people, but it is for a surprising number of the ones
I've talked to. For us good Roleplaying is Being the person you are
playing so well that no one at all can tell, sometimes not even
you. :)

--

Tamzen

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin