BIZ amusing idea (Re: [MUD-Dev] Enforced log out aka "real sleep")

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Sat Feb 2 20:28:38 CET 2002

From: "Nicholas E. Walker" <new at gnu.org>
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 10:53:31AM -0500, Paul Schwanz wrote:

>> Now, you can handle Vampires a couple of different ways.  You can
>> simply start them out with only 12 hours of character time per
>> day, or you can simply have them fatigue much more readily,
>> requiring that they use twice as much character time for
>> sleeping, leaving less for the other pursuits.

>> I think I'd go for the second.  The interesting thing would be
>> for a Vampire to have to budget his character time well.  (After
>> all, once the 24 hours is used, he doesn't get more character
>> time until the next day.)  If fighting is particularly fatiguing,
>> then the Vampire must pick his battles carefully, lest he spend
>> too much of his character time recovering and then remains
>> vulnerable until the next day cycle.

> Instead of charging players by the hour/month, one could charge
> players for character-time.  Of course, this would create
> interesting imbalances.  Like 240 hour days compared to my 2.4
> hour days.

I think that it would not work. Billing for character-time means
that players who play a lot are going to pay more, and they usually
are young people and students who are well known for having a small
budget, while older people who usually play less online would pay
less, while they're the one who would be able to pay more.  I'm not
saying that this is a completely bad idea. It would be interesting
to have some real statistics of age/profession/time online of people
actually playing on existing MMORPGs and see if this would be a
viable business.

--
c'ya!

Valerio Santinelli