[MUD-Dev] Re: premium servers

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Sun Feb 3 08:41:49 CET 2002

"Talies the Wanderer" <snicker at pinkpig.com>:

> Speaking from personal experience, the first time I ran into one
> of these "platinum-only" doors, it was not clearly marked, and
> when I tried to enter, I was summarily ejected.

Actually, if you ran into a door that kept you from entering, that
was not the platinum game -- fully 25% of Simutronics customers pay
$29.95 a month for premium services, which include private hunting
areas, access to quests (which you have to extra pay for), weddings
(which you have to pay extra for), extra characters, faster queueing
for support, second line "type ahead" buffer, larger lockers,
private room, etc.

The Platinum services they offer are a completely seperate game, and
apparently they now charge $39.95 a month. You can't walk to
Platinum.

I'd say that Premium is a success if 25% of your customers convert.

BTW, as I understand it, there is another good thing for Simutronics
with the Premium accounts -- they offer the standard accounts
through Microsoft's GameZone, which I believe is their primary
access to new customers since they don't advertise. Since they
probably pay a percentage to Microsoft for those, they make more
money when someone converts to a Premium account as that is not
offered through the Microsoft GameZone.

-- Christopher Allen