[MUD-Dev] MOBPROG and other scripting languages

Eli Stevens listsub at wickedgrey.com
Tue Feb 5 07:58:41 CET 2002

From: "J C Lawrence" <claw at kanga.nu>

> Quite.  Language choice is almost uninteresting in comparison to
> how you expose the function to the language and to its users.
> Witness the fact that I'm still getting asked about exactly how
> spoofs worked -- despite the fact that they are a singularly and
> obviously Bad Idea from the get go.

Well, crap.

What exactly do you mean by "singularly and obviously Bad Idea"?  It
seems that by using a mechanism that accomplished the same effect
you can make a quite flexible and interesting system.  If the exact
idea in question is the implementation details, then I agree that
the method discussed previously on the list does seem a bit off.
Otherwise, I politely object to the obvious label.  :)

My current senior capstone project is based around all in-game
objects being inert except as enabled by Behaviors that get added to
the object, changing how it reacts to events (taking the place of
spoofs).  If the whole idea is bunk, I don't see it, and would like
to discuss the matter further (hopefully to salvage the project
before the end of the semester ;).  As it stands, I expect (which
has just been thrown into doubt) that we will be able to implement
all of JCLs scenarios with what we have.

If it would be of interest, I would be happy to provide more details
on what we are planning (actually, I plan on doing it anyway, but
interest will make it happen more quickly :P).  Unfortunately, all
of the documentation we have produced so far has been targeted at an
audience that knows little if anything of computer gaming, much less
muds (and hence would be of little interest to the list).  To
illustrate, the professor keeps telling us to include a section in
our paper on the similarities between online FPSs and text mudding.
I remain at a loss as to what to say beyond "not a whole dang lot."
:/ I suppose we could BS something about social structure, but that
feels like a waste of time.

But I digress.  ;)

Eli

--
Give a man some mud, and he plays for a day.
Teach a man to mud, and he plays for a lifetime.