[MUD-Dev] Re: Re[2]: "Advanced" use of virtual worlds?

Jon Lambert tychomud at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 5 23:04:38 CET 2002

rayzam wrote:

> In essence, you cannot roleplay without being one of the classic
> 4, but you can be any of the classic 4 without roleplaying. So I
> wouldn't call it playing differently. I'd call it playing with
> more or less added [a killer limiting themselves because of RP
> might be considered 'less' versus an explorer roleplaying that may
> be 'more'].

Consider that study of role-playing muds (and more importantly
role-players themselves) was never plumbed to any depth, as the
paper does acknowledge.

No I don't think the 4 suits applies to role-players or role-playing
muds at all.  It's true there is a casual connection between general
psychological personality traits and the 4 suits that goes beyond
mudding.  You will find similar personality traits among
role-players that resemble the 4 suits.

However, remember that the paper goes beyond just identification and
into recommendations of balancing mud games.  Little of which has
any application to muds on which role-playing of certain spectrums
thrives.

Much of what occurs on these MMORPORGPG servers set aside for
role-playing that opened this discussion is what I'd say ranges from
simple avatarism to environmental immersion.  It's not anything that
would interest freestyle or story-telling role-players.  Rather it's
likely something they'd sneer at.  For if there's anything that
irritates role-players more than munchkins and roll-players, it's
got to be other role-players of different styles.

Avatarists and immersionists can tolerate the introduction of
killers into their environments.  Some other roleplaying styles
cannot, do not and will not tolerate the clubs suit at all and yet
these muds still remain successful and long-lived.

Some free-stylists and story-telling role-players even reserve
special hells for anal-retentive environmental realism
immersionists.

It's a wacky world out there. :-)

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--