[MUD-Dev] Girl appeal (was: Boys and Girls)

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Feb 6 00:54:57 CET 2002

From: "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, John Buehler wrote:

>> I'll offer that girls want to relate or to facilitate relating.
>> Building works only when people are involved.  Rollercoaster
>> Tycoon is interesting because of the people that are using the
>> park.

> My girlfriend is downstairs right now playing Rollercoaster Tycoon
> with the people turned invisible, because they "get in the
> way". She doesn't care at all about the people. Mainly, she just
> wants to beat my score.

Said score being a number of guests and approval rating, both of
which are dependent on... people using the park.

Whether you can SEE them isn't the important part. The people DO get
in the way when they're on the screen, since there are just far too
many of them milling about to do anything effectively in an
isometric engine that only rotates in 90 degree intervals (which is
a HUGE mistake, IMHO). But if they weren't there at all, there would
be no reason to play.