[MUD-Dev] Source data on Crossbow

Bobby Martin bobbymartin at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 6 06:58:26 CET 2002

From: Travis Casey <efindel at earthlink.net>
>On Monday 04 February 2002 11:25, Bobby Martin wrote:
>> From: Travis Casey <efindel at earthlink.net>

>> In fact, since momentum (mass * velocity) is conserved as well as
>> energy, it doesn't matter at all how much resistance the target
>> has.  If the bullet hits the target and no chunks go flying off,
>> then all of the momentum of the bullet is transfered into the
>> target.

> Well... not quite.  If the bullet goes through, not all of its
> momentum is transferred, regardless of whether chunks go flying
> off.  As you show below, if the bullet lodges in the target, then
> most of the bullet's momentum transfers to the target (some stays
> with the bullet, since it's still moving, just with the target).
> Lastly, if the bullet ricochets off the target, then an amount of
> momentum *greater* than that possessed by the bullet originally is
> transferred to the target (since the bullet's momentum in its
> original direction of travel is now negative).

I considered both of those cases (the bullet going through or
bounding off) to be 'chunks flying off'.  I was referring to chunks
of matter, not chunks of the body in particular.  I should have
enumerated those cases as you did, though.

Also, it is worth pointing out that if the person being hit is
braced properly, then the momentum can be transfered into the earth,
just as you can brace yourself before firing.

Regards,
Bobby Martin
Cosm Development Team

secure email: bobbymartin at hushmail.com