[MUD-Dev] Source data on Crossbow

Bobby Martin bobbymartin at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 6 07:05:49 CET 2002

From: Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt <hhs at cbs.dtu.dk>
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Bobby Martin wrote:
>> From: Travis Casey <efindel at earthlink.net>

>> delta v of target = velocity of bullet * mass of bullet / (mass
>> of target + mass of bullet)

>> No matter how much energy is dissipated as internal damage,
>> noise, heat, etc.

> Remember that heat in fact is also momentum, on another scale;
> vibration, rotation and velocity of molecules. I don't know how
> much of the momentum is absorbed by frictional heat, however (it
> might be so small it does not matter in the big picture).

But heat is random motion, in all directions.  It's the vector sum
of the momentum that is conserved, not a scalar sum, so all of that
heat momentum cancels out. Any of it that doesn't is observed as
macroscopic movement of an object, not heat.  So no matter how much
heat energy is absorbed, the net momentum change for the heat
vibration is zero.

Hmm, this is verging on off-topic for the list... : )

<EdNote: Agreed>

Regards,
Bobby Martin
Cosm Development Team