[MUD-Dev] story vs. screenplay

Koster Koster
Wed Feb 6 08:36:34 CET 2002

From: Nicholas E. Walker

> The point/thesis of this all is to bring up the difference between
> prose storytelling (short stories, novels, fiction or non-) and
> screenplays.

> With prose storytelling, the author is narrating the story.  A
> single point of storytelling.  The author picks a point of view to
> narrate from,

This is called Limited Omniscient point of view if in 3rd person.

> and perhaps even switches around.

Roving Omniscient, sometimes also called Central Intelligence.

> But there is always a single point of view.  (I may be wrong, but
> I don't think I have ever read anything for which this is not
> true--except maybe Finnegan's Wake? But that's aside from my
> point..)

There is in fact a rarely-used point of view style in which the
author is in every character's head, or more than one character's
head at a time. The prototypical example is "Open Boat" by Stephen
Crane.

There's also the POV in which you don't go into anyone's head at
all.  Hemingway's "The Killers" is a good example of that.

-Raph