"Advanced" use of virtual worlds? (Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs)

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Feb 6 16:18:33 CET 2002

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Travis Casey wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2002 11:18, Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> But that's the point. Whether someone can tell or not, it's still
>> a fake persona. And if you can't tell, then I have to question
>> whether you're roleplaying, or just letting a part of your
>> personality shine through that you normally would repress.

> Is that not roleplaying, though?  By the definition I use, it can
> be.  Indeed, by the definition I use, there's no requirement that
> the role one plays be any different from yourself -- you can
> roleplay yourself in a game world by acting in the way that you
> would if you were there.

Well, if you can roleplay by being yourself, doesn't that kind of
make the term lose meaning? It means that we are all roleplaying 24
hours a day. I'm not going to argue that's not true, as we all play
roles (husband, girlfriend, boss, employee, etc) but I'm not sure
whether that's what people mean when they talk about roleplaying in
games.

Regardless though, I still feel the same way, as I don't want to get
to know my boss (assuming I had one). I want to get to know Bill,
the guy who is playing the boss, if you see what I mean.

--matt