[MUD-Dev] Source data on Crossbow

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Fri Feb 8 16:17:23 CET 2002

From: Christopher Kohnert <chris at achaea.com>

> My degree is not in physics, so I'm likely not too qualified to
> answer *G*, but I was envisioning something like a gelatinous blob
> with lots of internal friction as the internal parts move against
> one another. The vector sum may very well be preserved at the spot
> of impact and for a very brief moment thereafter
> (ie. instantaneous) but the non-rigidity, I think, would cause the
> 'parts' to behave in a somewhat more complex manner than simple
> conservation of momentum. I'm recalling seeing many simulations of
> fluid dynamics, turbulence and flames, etc. Very hard problems,
> those...

In the end, there are only two ways for the kinetic energy to
express its self in this context: As motion, or as heat.  However,
if a significant portion was expressed as heat, we could pretty much
count on all bullet wounds being self-cauterizing.  Even if the
energy created turbulence, only the portion that became heat would
not express itself as motion of the target.

As it happens, one of the measures for firearms is good
old-fashioned newtonian foot-pounds.  The hardest hitting
commercially available modern rifle in the world (the .458
Remington) generates just short of two thousand foot-pounds at the
muzzle.  This would be enough to knock a human off their feet if
they weren't braced for it, but it wouldn't knock you back in your
tracks.  No handgun generates more than 400 foot-pounds (the .454
Kasull Magnum, which has been known to break wrists).

Basicly, energy at the gun must be at *least* equal to energy at the
target (plus any losses for air drag), any weapon that could
genuinely knock over a person through sheer force would require a
tripod mount.  The closest to "man portable" in this category is the
.50 BMG sniper rifle (based on the same round as a WW2 anti-air
heavy machine gun).  It can only be fired from a prone bipod
position, or a tripod rest.

You *could* build a crossbow with that kind of force, and
historically it was done.  But you couldn't carry it with anything
short of a large wagon and a 4 horse team.

--Dave