[MUD-Dev] Girl appeal (was: Boys and Girls)

Sasha Hart Sasha.Hart at directory.reed.edu
Wed Feb 13 13:38:49 CET 2002

[Caliban]

> And that situation will continue until we can have a rational and
> productive discussion about it without the constant whinging that

[snip]

>... none of the data are scientific anyway.

> In other words, when fifty different people see fifty different
> groups of gamers do the same thing, that's significant. When you
> see your girlfriend do something else, that's not.

This sounds "scientific" to me.- at least, in that it entails seeing
it many times, rather than just having seen it once. Assuming the
observations are valid, then you do have a "scientific" basis for
believing whatever-it-is. (In other words, right on.)

Assuming the observations are good:

  That 95% of people surveyed at a dowsing convention believe that
  dowsing works isn't credible evidence that dowsing does work. If
  the basic quality of the measurements used is like that, say, of
  Matt's anecdote (which isn't clear cut any way), then the
  aggregate of the measurements is hardly more meaningful than the
  individual measurements.

Sasha