[MUD-Dev] BlackSnow sues Mythic for online property rights

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Thu Feb 14 11:14:49 CET 2002

Jeff Cole writes:

> This case is hardly cut and dried.

> With respect to the selling of items (as opposed to accounts), it
> speaks to some very fundamental legal concepts of "property."

> I think Blacksnow has a strong legal position (with respect to
> items).  I am not sure why Mythic should have any interest in a
> player's motivations (financial or otherwise) to effect a trade.

> Hmmmm ... did someone say something about player's rights?

> At any rate, if developers have to consider such incidental player
> activity when the designing games, perhaps we'll see some better
> designs with respect to the economies.

The property involved here is that of Mythic, not the players.  The
players are interacting with an entertainment source and are
developing a misconception that they are actually in the environment
depicted on the screen and that they own the objects that their
characters are depicted to own.  This is part of what I was talking
about about the problems with immersion.  People start to believe
things that simply aren't true.  There are no objects to own.  There
is only data and graphics to depict the idea of objects.  And those
depictions are owned, lock, stock and barrel, by Mythic.  We are
paying for the privilege of controlling them for a period of time.

In brief, if players want to be able to transfer the privileges that
they have paid for, they have to subscribe to a company's
entertainment that includes the privilege of transferrance.  As an
example, the leasor of an automobile is not obligated to permit you
to transfer the lease to another person.  Same thing with a rented
home.

Note that Mythic may have a vested interest in the inability to
transfer items or accounts or whatever for economic reasons.  The
beliefs behind those reasons may be inaccurate, but it is Mythic's
right to provide its service as it sees fit, within the law.

JB